I am working these days on a project about the gamification of my social studies curriculum. I have noticed that most of my students tend to spend their time in playing games which they give priority over their school’s learning. For them, the traditional way of learning is very boring especially if compared to games. So, I am interested in gamification to engage students more into learning. This week, I surveyed my students’ interests in playing games as well as their ideas about the gamification of learning. I also searched the topic on the internet and went through some examples of the gamification of different lessons or courses. However, there are some points that are challenging for me.
So, here is where I need your help the most about the best way to gamify my curriculum. Could you give me any suggestions on the following points:
- Competition, Collaboration or both: If I give students points or badges for completing missions or tasks, they will want to complete as many of them as possible which might affect the quality of the work done. On the other hand, if I had a more collaborative environment, students with different abilities and academic levels could work together to complete the work assigned in the best way. Yet, is it possible that this affects their engagement level? What if I assigned a group (most probably boys) competing against another group (that will be girls)?
- Students at the bottom of the leader board: Some students might lose their motivation and feeling of competition because they cannot win as many points as others. So, does gamification demotivate below-level students? Is there any way to avoid that?
- Rewards: Should the rewards be virtual points and badges only that could be translated into grades? Or is it better to relate it to real-life rewards as well?
- Time allocated: Should I put due dates to the missions that students are required to finish or design the curriculum as self-paced?
- Learning and Grading Platform: With teaching many classes and a large number of students, I need an effective platform to help me in recording and following-up points or grades. Any suggestions?
I guess that’s it for now…. I appreciate your feedback.